How many times in your life have you experienced relationship stress? I know I have!
I have recently reflected on how much time has been spent listening to other’s break-up stories and time spent draining everyone I know on my own relationship tales. I venture to say that I am not alone in playing both these roles – the listener and the sharer.
Rules to live by when listening to a friend’s tearful break-up:
- Do not take your friend to a restaurant called “Sum Yung Thang” if she/he has been cheated on
- Do not interrupt your friend’s litany with your own – this is about them, not you – for this hour anyway. Your turn will come when dessert arrives
- Do tell your friend that you are there for them, and let your eyes fill with compatible tears when needed. Sympathy rage can also be helpful. If you are the stronger one at this meeting, then it is your turn to supply the wine and the chocolate.
Love Songs/Hate Songs/Bitter Break-up Songs
The music industry, as well as the entertainment history, has made much of its money capitalizing on human drama. Remember Carrie Underwood’s big hit, “Before He Cheats”? No need to wonder why it’s still being played on many radio stations. Most songs deal with the turmoil of relationships, good and bad. Most humans can identify with the lyrics of these songs.
Songs to gift your friends with during a painful breakup or still in the midst of a dysfunctional relationship
- Any song by Adele
- Billy Holiday songs, all blues songs, some jazz, most R&B
- The country song of your choice
- JLo’s, Taylor Swift’s, Pink’s, Katy Perry’s & Kelly Clarkson’s upbeat songs about slimy guys
If you or your friends are experiencing any form of relationship stress, this would be a great opportunity to share “Laughing in the Rain – Self Care for the Storms of Life” to ease the pain with some humor and great self care tips.
Everyone can use help to ease a heartache – especially if it’s caused by relationship stress. Who knows – with enough humor in your situation, you might have material for the next “achy breaky heart” music hit!